The New Year is upon us and as we head back to work and bury our heads in files and spreadsheets, 2010 can feel a little overwhelming. In the battle to begin, how start with getting organized. Here are some ways to maximize your time in your pursuit to get back in the swing.
- Clear the Clutter. This is the first step to a clear mind. Clear your desk; toss what you don’t need or haven’t used, and file what you’ll need to keep for reference.
- Sort through emails. Note that I didn’t say respond to all your emails. Studies have shown that the most effective way to get through the hundreds of requests sitting in your inbox is to devote a certain amount of time to read through them all at once. Tag the ones you need to follow up on and move to the next and file what doesn’t need attention.
- Make a list. As a veteran list maker, I understand not everyone is a true believer. Trust me, though, even if you don’t see the value in every day lists, right now is the time to believe. Write down tasks you’ve kept in your head and/or voicemails to follow up, and add to it as necessary. It will help to have a running list that you can reference and check off.
- Determine priorities. You may have things on your to-do list that can wait until you have time, and some that need more immediate attention. Organize your list accordingly so you can maximize your time and efforts.
- Chill out. It is the first week in January and everyone’s playing catch-up from holiday vacations. Give yourself and others some patience.
From all of us here at Integress, we wish you a happy and prosperous New Year.